(Closed, Unmoderated, Unrevealed, Anonymous, Gift Exchange Challenge)
About Rare Pair Fest 2017 (rarepairfest2017)
Welcome to Rare Pair Exchange 2017
This is our sixth multi-fandom Rare Pair Exchange.
1. This exchange is to celebrate rare relationships (romantic and/or sexual) in ALL fandoms. Canon or non-canon relationships are welcome. They may be slash, het, femslash, or any combination of the aforementioned.
2. For the purpose of this fest, a rare pair will be defined as a relationship that has less than 200 COMPLETED works of 1000 words or greater on AO3.
- In previous rounds of this fest, eligibility was based on fic from any archive. That means we had to check both AO3 and FF.net and any single fandom archives that were brought to our attention. This year, we are only checking AO3. That said, if a relationship had been previously rejected due to being too big on FF.net or a different archive, they are still not eligible. Please do not abuse this. We are doing this in good faith. If we accept a ship that's large on a different archive, and it's brought to our attention, we will remove it.
3. You must have an Archive of Our Own (AO3) account to participate. If you do not have one, please send an email to us at email@example.com with the email address you would like us to send the invite.
- Before signups, we will have a nomination period for people to pick fandoms and relationships that they would like to offer/request.
- Each person can nominate five fandoms and six relationships per fandom.
- Nominated relationships can also include threesomes/moresomes.
- Crossover nominations are welcome. Please nominate them under the fandom "Crossover Fandom" and include in parenthesis the fandom for each individual in the pairing (ex. Harry Potter (Harry Potter)/Sherlock Holmes (BBC Sherlock)).
- Real person fiction (RPF) may be nominated with the following caveats:
a.) Nominated characters must be 18 or older.
b.) Living non-famous persons may not be nominated (for example, someone's wife or child).
- Do not imply rank for relationships or otherwise specify a favorite relationship (in the event you are requesting more than one ship in your fandom) or fandom.
- Please note that if you request "Any Relationship", that means any relationship IN THE TAG SET not any relationship in the fandom. Do not abuse this to request ships that have not been nominated. If we notice that you have done this we will contact you, and if it is not fixed, we will delete your signup.
- You can edit/delete your signup until signups close.
- Only sign up for fandoms you are comfortable receiving/creating fic or art for.
- Signups must include 3-10 fandoms from our list of nominated fandoms, and participants must pick 1-10 relationships from each fandom. You can also choose to request "any" nominated relationship in a given fandom.
- For each request you must choose if you want fic, art, or both.
- While the description section is optional, we strongly suggest you include dislikes. Other things to consider are the inclusion of general likes, rating restrictions, prompt ideas, or anything else you’d like the writer to know. However, please remember that everything except your dislikes are optional for the person assigned to you. If you have a lot to say, consider linking to a letter in your own journal with the extra details.
- You must offer between 3-10 fandoms with between 1 and 20 pairings per fandom. You can also choose to offer to write/draw "any" nominated relationship in a given fandom.
- For each offer you must choose if can produce fic, art, or both.
- All fics have to be a minimum of 1,000 words. There is no maximum word count. Art can be computer- or hand-drawn and must be complete (no rough sketches). Manips are not allowed as standalone art, but can be included in addition to a story or art.
- You are guaranteed to match on one fandom, one ship, and one media type. You don’t have to write the fandom/relationship you were matched on if something else the person requested interests you.
- At minimum you are required to write/draw for at least one fandom/relationship and not include any dislikes (if supplied). While it is not required, if possible use one of the requested prompts if provided.
- While the author/artist will not be bound by the scenarios, creating something that blatantly disregards the recipient's likes/dislikes will not be accepted.
- Related canons – You must write/draw for the version of the fandom requested unless your recipient gives you explicit permission to write in a related canon. (ex. If a person requests BBC Sherlock, you can’t write/draw for them something set in the Downey films unless they say they are okay with that).
- If you have a problem with, any questions about, or cannot complete your assignment, please contact us immediately at firstname.lastname@example.org.
7. Pinch Hits
- All pinch hits will be posted here https://groups.google.com/group/rare-pair-pinch-hits.
- In the event we have issues matching someone, they will go out as a pinch hit right away.
- If you default and the person assigned to create something for you also defaults, you will not be assigned a pinch hitter.
- Pinch hits assigned through August 12th will be due at the regular deadline of August 19th. Pinch hits assigned after this date will be due August 25th.
8. No extensions will be given.
9. Stories that are obvious placeholders (random text, no text, stories under 1000 words, etc.) at the time assignments are due will be rejected. If you do not default by the deadline or if you only have an obvious placeholder up at the time assignments are due, your assignment will automatically go out as a pinch hit, and you will not be able to participate in the next fest unless you produce a full length treat before signups for the next round start.
10. You are welcome to continue editing your story between the time assignments are due and reveals.
11. Works will NOT be revealed until everyone has a gift.
12. Treats (stories/art created for someone that you are not assigned) are welcome and encourage. You don't have to sign up to create treats. Treats may be any length/medium.
13. If people would like to coordinate nominations, pimp their fandoms/ships, post letters, offer to be a beta, etc. please do so at http://rarepairsupport.livejournal.com/.
1. NO WANK! Be respectful. Please realize that everyone has different likes/interests/dislikes.
2. Betas are not required but strongly encouraged. Submissions with excessive spelling, punctuation, and grammar errors will be rejected.
3. As this is an anonymous exchange, do not post your story anywhere else or reveal your recipient to anyone until authors/artists are revealed. After reveals you are welcome to post anywhere.
4. Stories must be written specifically for this exchange and can’t have previously been posted somewhere and can't be part of a previously posted series.