Annual fanart and fanfiction exchange for lovers of femslash.
(Closed, Unmoderated, Gift Exchange Challenge)
About Femslash Exchange 2016 (Femslashex_2016)
Welcome to our fourth annual femslash exchange!
Nothing major has changed since last year, but please look over the rules again, even if you've signed up before.
All times are 5pm PDT
15-25 August: Nomination Period
28 August to 7 September: Signups open
10 September: Assignments will be sent out by this date
22 October: Fanworks due
28 October: Archive goes live (or as soon as everyone has a gift)
4 November: Creators revealed
Please do not hesitate leave a comment here or contact us at email@example.com, if you have any questions/comments/concerns.
- Before signups, we will have a nomination period for people to pick fandoms and relationships that they would like included in the fest. Each person can nominate up to five fandoms, with up to five pairings within each. Please only nominate fandoms that you plan to offer or request.
- All fandoms in all media are welcome. Canon or non-canon pairings are welcome. Original works are welcome.
- For the purpose of this fest, femslash is defined as fic or art containing a relationship between two or more characters who identify in canon as either female or genderqueer. (We do not mean to imply that genderqueer = female, but would like to include as many pairings as we can, and leave gender definitions to the participants' discretion). That means you may not request gender-altered/Rule-63/spectrum-shifting works for canon male-identified characters. To be clear:
- You may request works about cis female-identified characters.
- You may request works about transgender women, such as Ms Hudson from Elementary.
- You may also request works about canonically genderqueer and gender-questioning characters regardless of their assigned gender, such as Franky from Skins UK, Alister/Athena from Huge, and Xavin from Runaways.
- You may request a canonically always female alternate universe version of a character who is male in the main universe, such as Natasha Stark from Marvel 3490
- You may not request works about characters who are male-identified in canon.
- You may not request works about male-identified characters who are temporarily transformed or body swapped into an assigned-female body, such as Guy Gardner in Guy Gardner: Warriorette (if you don't know, don't ask).
- Poly: We do allow poly groupings, so long as all the characters involved are eligable (f/f/f = fine; f/f/m = not in this fest, though you may list it as an option in your optional details.)
- Crossovers: Please nominate crossovers as under the fandom: Crossovers - Fandom, and list the characters with their fandom after the character name (Example: Pepper Potts (MCU)/Seven of Nine (Star Trek: Voyager)
- RPF: RPF characters must be 18 or over at the time of nomination, and must be public figures in their own right (no girlfriends/kids/parents of public figures permitted).
- You must have an Archive of Our Own (AO3) account to participate in nominations and sign ups. If you do not have one already, you can leave a comment here or e-mail the mods for an invite code. (For more on AO3 and how to sign up, go here).
You can edit/delete your signup until signups close.
This is an exchange fest, which means you must produce a fanwork for someone else. If you withdraw, it is harder for everyone involved. So please, think carefully if you have the time before signing up. If you discover after signing up that you can't finish in time, contact the moderators as soon as possible.
- You will have an option to select whether you would like to receive art, fic or both. Obviously, "both" increases ease of matching, but you don't have to request a format you do not want.
- Signups must include 4-6 fandoms from our list of nominated fandoms, and each fandom must have 1-6 pairings from the list of nominated pairings. We encourage people to request more than the minimum, as the more pairings you ask for, the easier matching will be.
- You will be matched on fandom, pairing and format (fic or art).
- While the description section is optional, we strongly suggest you include squicks. Other things to consider are the inclusion of general likes, rating restrictions, prompt ideas, or anything else you’d like the writer or artist to know. However, please remember that these are optional for the person assigned to you. If you've requested art, please remember that not all fic prompts translate well into art (more on that here). If you have a lot to say, consider linking to a letter in your own blog with the extra details.
- In your signup, do not imply rank for pairings or otherwise specify a favourite pairing. There is no need to make the person you are assigned feel bad if you want something they are not comfortable writing or drawing.
- You may offer to make art, write fic, or both.
- You may offer between 4-10 fandoms, with 1-10 pairings per fandom. Obviously, the more pairings you offer, the easier matching will be. You can also choose to offer "any" pairing in a given fandom, but please check the tag set to ensure that you're comfortable writing or drawing any pairing listed.
- You will be matched on fandom, pairing and format (fic or art).
- In the event we have issues matching someone, they will go out as a pinch hit right away. You can find the pinch hits here.
- You do not have to have an AO3 account to pinchhit, as you may submit via the mod account. The mods will edit in credit and links to your own platform after the end of the anon period.
- If you do pinch hit, you'll have the option of adding your requests to a special prompts post, so that those who'd like to can reward you with the gift of femslash!
- Your fanwork must focus on a requested pairing, and must include a romantic and/or sexual relationship of some kind. This is not a friendship ficathon. That means there should be some kind of f/f romance, longing, kissing, love, and/or sex. You're welcome to offer or request work featuring asexual characters as long as it's in the spirit of this rule.
- You are not obligated to produce something for ALL pairings on which you are matched. Pick whatever you are comfortable with. However, if you want to write or draw more than one thing for your recipient, feel free.
- You don’t have to write or draw the fandom/pairing you were matched on if something else your recipient requested interests you.
- Please do what you can to avoid any listed squicks. While it is not required, if possible, please consider using one of your recipient's prompts.
- Betas are not required, but are strongly encouraged. Fic submissions with excessive spelling, punctuation and grammar errors and art submissions that look like drafts will be rejected. If your submission is rejected for this reason you can resubmit it after you've polished your work. We will have a beta sign up post.
- Due to the nature of this fest, it is hard for extensions to be given. If you know you won't be able to submit by the due date, please default as soon as possible. If you default prior to the due date, you may participate next year with no problems. If you simply fail to submit your work by the due date, or submit an unfinished work, you will not be able to participate in the next fest.
- If you withdraw and the person assigned to create something for you withdraws, you will not be assigned a pinch hitter.
- If you have a problem with, any questions about, or cannot complete your assignment, please contact us immediately at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Please finish your assignment before you start on treats.
- You do not need an AO3 account to post treats; you may do so via the mod account. The mods will edit in credit and links to your own platform after the end of the anon period.
- Treats of polished art and fic over 1000 words may be posted at any time. Please wait until the mod gives the word before posting shorter fic and sketches.
- This fest has mandatory anon period for fic. Author names will be revealed one week after the archive goes live. Please do not promote your fic before that time.
- The anon period for art is optional. Because of concerns about crossposting without attribution, artists may sign their work and may link to it, but they are requested not to crosspost the full art until all the end of the anon period. (For more on this, read here.)
Be respectful. Please realize that everyone has different likes/interests/squicks.
- All fic have to be a minimum of 1,000 words, and be of a quality that you'd be happy to receive as a gift.. There is no maximum word count.
- Art must be polished, and be of a quality that you'd be happy to receive as a gift. There is no maximum size for art or page limit for comics. Art must be hand or digitally drawn. We are not accepting manips at this time.
- Submissions may be any rating.
- Submissions must be femslash, and must focus on a requested pairing.
- Please don't talk about the specifics of your assignment in public until the creators are revealed. We'd like it to be a surprise for everyone.
- Gfts can't be part of a previously posted series.