Annual fanworks exchange for lovers of femslash.
(Closed, Unmoderated, Gift Exchange Challenge)
About Femslash Exchange 2014 (femslashex_2014)
Welcome to our second annual femslash exchange!
This year we have changed the minimum offers and requests, and we will be allowing fan art. Please see the Requests and Offers sections for details.
We will also be discontinuing crossposting to the Livejournal community, as per the notice posted there.
11-21 August: Nomination Period
24 August to 3 September: Signups open
6 September: Assignments will be sent out by this date
8 October: No penalty default date
18 October: Fic and art due
24 October: Archive goes live (or as soon as everyone has a story)
Please do not hesitate to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org, if you have any questions/comments/concerns.
- Before signups, we will have a nomination period for people to pick fandoms and relationships that they would like included in the fest. Each person can nominate up to five fandoms, with up to five pairings within each. Please only nominate fandoms that you plan to offer or request.
- All fandoms in all media are welcome. RPF is welcome, as long as both parties are public figures and are sixteen or older at time of nomination. Canon or non-canon pairings are welcome.
- For the purpose of this fest, femslash is defined as fic or art containing a relationship between two or more characters who identify in canon as either female or genderqueer. (We do not mean to imply that genderqueer = female, but would like to include as many pairings as we can, and leave gender definitions to the participants' discretion). That means you may not request gender-altered/Rule-63/spectrum-shifting works for canon male-identified characters. To be clear:
- You may request works about cis female-identified characters.
- You may request works about transgender women, such as Ms Hudson from Elementary.
- You may also request works about canonically genderqueer and gender-questioning characters regardless of their assigned gender, such as Franky from Skins UK, Alister/Athena from Huge, and Xavin from Runaways.
- You may request a canonically always female alternate universe version of a character who is male in the main universe, such as Natasha Stark from Marvel 3490
- You may not request works about characters who are male-identified in canon.
- You may not request works about male-identified characters who are temporarily transformed or body swapped into an assigned-female body, such as Guy Gardner in Guy Gardner: Warriorette (if you don't know, don't ask).
- Nominated pairings cannot include threesomes or moresomes, though requesters are welcome to list threesomes/moresomes they like in their optional details.
- Crossover pairings cannot be nominated. If you would like a crossover, you can mention it in the optional description section of your signup. We will not match you on this, and it’s up to the discretion of the person assigned as to whether they take it up.
- You must have an Archive of Our Own (AO3) account to participate. If you do not have one already, the queue is very short right now, so it shouldn't take more than a day to get one if you apply.
You can edit/delete your signup until signups close.
- This year we're including art as well as fic, so you will have an option to select whether you would like to receive one, the other or both. Obviously, "both" increases ease of matching, but you don't have to request a format you do not want.
- Signups must include 4-6 fandoms from our list of nominated fandoms, and each fandom must have 1-6 pairings from the list of nominated pairings. You may also request ANY pairing, but please check the pairing list to ensure you mean it. We encourage people to request more than the minimum, as the more pairings you ask for, the easier matching will be.
- You will be matched on fandom, pairing and format (fic or art).
- While the description section is optional, we strongly suggest you include squicks. Other things to consider are the inclusion of general likes, rating restrictions, prompt ideas, or anything else you’d like the writer or artist to know. However, please remember that these are optional for the person assigned to you. If you've requested art, please remember that not all fic prompts translate well into art. If you have a lot to say, consider linking to a letter in your own journal with the extra details.
- In your signup, do not imply rank for pairings or otherwise specify a favourite pairing. There is no need to make the person you are assigned feel bad if you want something they are not comfortable writing or drawing.
- This year we're including art as well as fic, and you may offer to make art, write fic, or both.
- You may offer between 4-10 fandoms, with 1-10 pairings per fandom. Obviously, the more pairings you offer, the easier matching will be. You can also choose to offer "any" pairing in a given fandom, but please check the tag set to ensure that you're comfortable writing or drawing any pairing listed.
- You will be matched on fandom, pairing and format (fic or art).
In the event we have issues matching someone, they will go out as a pinch hit right away. You can find the pinch hits here.
After Assignments Go Out
- This is an exchange fest, which means you must produce a fanwork for someone else. If you withdraw, it is harder for everyone involved. So please, think carefully if you have the time before signing up. If you withdraw and the person assigned to create something for you withdraws, you will not be assigned a pinch hitter. If you discover after signing up that you can't finish in time, contact the moderators as soon as possible.
- Your fanwork must focus on a requested pairing, and must include a romantic and/or sexual relationship of some kind. This is not a friendship ficathon. That means there should be some kind of f/f romance, longing, kissing, love, and/or sex. You're welcome to offer or request work featuring asexual characters as long as it's in the spirit of this rule.
- You are not obligated to produce something for ALL pairings on which you are matched. Pick whatever you are comfortable with. However, if you want to write or draw more than one thing for your recipient, feel free.
- You don’t have to write or draw the fandom/pairing you were matched on if something else your recipient requested interests you.
- Please do what you can to avoid any listed squicks. While it is not required, if possible please consider using one of your recipient's prompts.
- Betas are not required, but are strongly encouraged. Fic submissions with excessive spelling, punctuation and grammar errors and art submissions that look like drafts will be rejected. If your submission is rejected for this reason you can resubmit it after you've polished your work. We will have a beta sign up post.
- This fest does not have an anon period. Fic will go live with authors' names already revealed.
- Due to the nature of this fest, it is hard for extensions to be given. If you know you won't be able to submit by the due date, please default as soon as possible. If you default prior to the no penalty default date, you may participate next year with no problems. If you default after the date, do not submit your fanwork, or submit an unfinished work, you will not be able to participate in the next fest.
- If you have a problem with, any questions about, or cannot complete your assignment, please contact us immediately at email@example.com.
Be respectful. Please realize that everyone has different likes/interests/squicks.
- All fic have to be a minimum of 1,000 words. There is no maximum word count.
- Art must be at least 500px wide and must look polished. There is no maximum size for art or page limit for comics. Art must be hand or digitally drawn. We are not accepting manips at this time.
- Submissions may be any rating.
- Submissions must be femslash, and must focus on a requested pairing.
- Please don't talk about the specifics of your assignment in public. We'd like it to be a surprise for everyone.
- Stories can't be part of a previously posted series.