As I'm sure you all already know, Doyle wrote sixty stories that involved Sherlock Holmes. Most were short stories; four were novel-length, and together they gave us Holmes, Watson, and their wonderful world. They inspired a whole genre of fiction, countless movies and television adaptations, spin-offs, and a whole lotta fanfiction. :-)
Spacemutineer and I started an LJ community (Sherlock60) where each week, we (and anyone else who wants to) write 60 words* on a canon story, going in alphabetical order of the standard story abbreviations. We decided to post here, too, in hopes that others will be inspired to take on and/or enjoy the challenge (and have fun on AO3)!
Want to play too? Please do! And pass the word around to anyone else you think would enjoy the reading and writing exercise. It's just sixty words, based on ONE canon story. You can put any kind of spin on it you like. If you do decide to play, please consider posting to this community so we can all enjoy your efforts. And if you like, come join us on LJ, too - sherlock60.livejournal.com!
Here's some suggestions on posting to this comm:
1. The subject of your post should include the title of the canon story your fic is based on. You don't have to include "The Adventure of..." as part of the title if you don't want to (although you're certainly welcome to), just the main part of the title. If your fic has a title of its own (optional but recommended), please put the canon title first, followed by a colon and your title. Example below:
The Devil's Foot: Smoke and Water
2. Consider creating one multi-chaptered post for all your Sherlock60 efforts, with new chapters for each 60-word take on a canon story. That will help others find and read through all of your efforts!
3. Each Sherlock60 ficlets are only 60 words long* and this community was designed so readers could find all entries to read in one location. If you would like to include a link to other canon-related stories, you may, but you MUST include the full text of your Sherlock60 ficlet in posts to this community.
*For the four novel-length canon stories, some authors have gone the route of posting 60-word ficlets for each chapter. That's fine. Others have expanded their original 60-word ficlets into drabbles or longer stories. That's fine, too; just make sure you link and/or note these exceptions appropriately.
4. As with all other AO3 entries, PLEASE USE ARCHIVE WARNINGS AND RATINGS appropriately. Spoiler notices are less important, as one of the purposes of this comm is to read and comment on the original ACD canon.
Questions? Comments? Please contact methylviolet10b or spacemutineer here on AO3.
Thanks for playing!
1. Read one of the canon Sherlock Holmes stories as written by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. The original comm is reading them in alphabetical order by standard abbreviation, but you can choose to go in any order you wish.
2. Write a 60-word story inspired by that canon story. Whatever inspires you, go for it. It could be closely related, a tag, an additional scene, or whatever your imagination comes up with. The story MUST be no more or less than 60 words.* (See FAQ for more information on this limit.)
3. Post on AO3 and use the Sherlock60 community tag, so we can all find your entries!
4. Have fun!