(Open, Unmoderated, Unrevealed, Anonymous, Gift Exchange Challenge)
About Rare Ships!!! on Ice 2017 (Rare_Ships_on_Ice_2017)
Rare Ships!!! on Ice is a secret fanworks exchange celebrating small ships in Yuri!!! on Ice fandom. Participants write a newly created fanfiction of at least 500 words, create an original piece of art, or create a new podfic of at least 500 words fulfilling one of their recipient's requests. Recipients don't know who's creating for them until creators are revealed at the end of the exchange.
All Yuri!!! on Ice relationships with fewer than 500 works on AO3 are allowed. Gen and shippy relationships are both welcome, as are all ratings and genres of fanworks.
Where is this exchange?
Rare Ships!!! on Ice is an AO3-based exchange. Nominations, sign-ups, matching, posting, etc. will run through the Rare Ships!!! on Ice AO3 Collection. You must have an AO3 account to participate; contact the mod if you need an invite.
The Dreamwidth community is the primary announcement hub. Anon commenting is turned on, so you can easily comment if you don't have a DW account.
Announcements will be cross-posted to the Rare Ships!!! on Ice tumblr, but please direct any questions to the Dreamwidth community or the mod email, firstname.lastname@example.org. I can't guarantee I'll see asks or reblogs.
The exchange will go smoother if you periodically check either the community or the Tumblr mirror for announcements. You may also want to check the email address associated with your AO3 account, as I may need to contact you there.
Don't be an asshole. Bashing ships, characters, kinks, requests, and fellow participants will lead to an immediate ban from this exchange.
"Do Not Wants" will be enforced. Please see the Requests section below for more details.
Commenting on gifts will be required. Please see the Commenting section below for more details.
I reserve the right to update the rules in response to unforeseen events; any rule changes will be announced on this Dreamwidth community.
Relationships with fewer than 500 works on AO3 as of April 15 will be eligible for RSOI 2017. The 500 cut-off counts all works for the relationship on AO3, without any filtering.
This means there are only four ineligible relationships:
- Katsuki Yuuri/Victor Nikiforov
- Katsuki Yuuri & Victor Nikiforov
- Otabek Altin/Yuri Plisetsky
- Otabek Altin & Yuri Plisetsky
Nominations: April 20 - May 2
- Nominate sexual and-or romantic relationships with a /. For example: Mila Babicheva/Sara Crispino
- Nominate platonic relationships with an &. For example: Mila Babicheva & Sara Crispino
- Groups of two or more are allowed. This means threesomes and moresomes are eligible. Single characters are not.
- Crossover relationships are allowed. Nominate them in this format: Character A/Character B (The other fandom). For example: Phichit Chulanont/Prompto Argentum (Final Fantasy XV)
- For contemporary RPF, all nominated individuals must be 18 or over.
- I'll be checking nominations throughout the nominations period. You can edit your nominations as long as they haven't been checked.
Signups: May 5 - 15
- You can request and offer 3 to 20 relationships. You can request and offer fanfic and/or fanart and/or podfic.
- At least one request and at least one offer must not be a crossover relationship.
- Requests will be visible during signups.
- You can edit or delete your signup as long as signups are open.
You can request 3 to 20 relationships. You can also request fanfic, fanart, and/or podfic. Matching is OR. Your creator will match to you on any 1 relationship + any 1 medium. If you give prompts, please keep that in mind!
There will be a space in the sign-up form where you can link to a "Dear Creator" letter on your Dreamwidth, tumblr, or other site. Letters are optional.
There will be also be a space on the sign-up form called "Optional Details." Potentially helpful things to include in your optional details: general things you like, prompts, Do Not Wants. You can also mention any non-standard (in terms of this exchange!) mediums you'd be open to receiving, such as interactive fiction, poetry, crafts, baked goods, etc.
Please include any "Do Not Wants" in the sign-up form itself. Your creator is expected to respect your DNWs. I will only enforce that for DNWs listed in the sign-up form; I won't enforce DNWs that are only listed in a separate letter.
A DNW list lets you specify elements that would prevent you from enjoying your gift. A DNW could be a trigger, squick, or just something you really dislike. Clear and specific DNWs are most helpful. Don't use your DNW section to try to force your creator to create a specific type of work.
Reasonable DNWs: "Clowns, kinkshaming, second person POV"
Unreasonable DNWs: "Fic where Yuri is a figure skater; art that isn't a coffee shop AU"
You can offer 3 to 20 relationships. You can offer 1 to 3 mediums (fanfic, fanart, podfic).
If you have no possible recipients at the end of sign-ups - meaning, no other participants are requesting any of the relationships you're offering - I will email you letting you know. You will need to either add more offers or drop out of the exchange.
Assignments: Out by May 19
Your assignment will be delivered to the email address associated with your AO3 account. If you don't remember, you can see which email address you used at this link: archiveofourown.org/users/[YOUR USERNAME HERE]/change_email
You can also check your AO3 assignments page, at this link: archiveofourown.org/users/[YOUR USERNAME HERE]/assignments
To fulfill your assignment, you have to create a fanwork that matches your recipient's requested medium (fic, art, or podfic) and one of their requested relationships. You are also expected to respect your recipient's DNWs.
Any other optional details are optional. However, please do your best to create a fanwork you think your recipient will enjoy.
Fanfiction has to be 500+ words, finished, and standalone. It can't be a sequel to a fic you've written before, or part of a series. Please proofread your fic.
Fanart has to be an original work created entirely by you. Art doesn't need to be fully colored but should look finished, and can't be on lined paper. Graphics and manipulations cannot fulfil an art request.
Podfic has to be 500+ words and finished. You can podfic the first installment of a series if the story is standalone -- no cliffhangers. You can either 1. podfic an existing piece of fanfiction or 2. write a new piece of fanfiction to then podfic for this exchange. If #1, make sure there's enough existing fic for the ships you're offering. If #2, please post both the text and audio for your recip.
You can write or draw a relationship you didn't initially offer, as long as your recipient requested it.
Assignments are secret. Do not talk about your work or your recipient until author reveals. (Not in public; you can of course discuss it in private with a beta reader or brainstorming partner, for example.)
You cannot change your assignment. If, by mistake, you have received an assignment that does not match your offers, contact the mod immediately.
Posting Your Work
- Post your finished work on AO3 by clicking on "Assignments" on your AO3 dash, finding your Rare Ships!!! on Ice assignment, and clicking "Post to fulfill."
- Clicking it will take you to a "Post New Work" form with the exchange info pre-populated. You can check the "Associations" section to make sure the assignment's checked off, the collection's filled in, and your recipient's filled in.
- You can post your work at any point between receiving your assignment and the deadline. Do not repost your work elsewhere (e.g. on tumblr) before reveals.
- You can edit your work after posting it.
- A saved draft does not count as a posted work. Make sure you have actually posted your work by the deadline.
- If you cannot finish your work, find your assignment under "Assignments" on your AO3 dashboard and click on "default."
- If you default and your creator defaults as well, you will not be assigned a pinch hitter.
- There is a "default deadline" on July 9. You can default at any time, however, if you default after July 9, you will need to create and post another gift to the collection if you want to participate in future rounds of RSOI. Make-up gifts must meet the exchange minimums, and must be posted before the next year's sign-ups begin.
- Pinch hits occur when a request needs a new writer or artist to volunteer -- either because the request was left over during the initial matching process, or because the original creator defaulted.
- Information about needed pinch hits will be posted on the Dreamwidth community.
- You can claim a pinch hit even if you aren't signed up for the exchange.
- You may write/draw additional fanworks for other participants and post them in the exchange collection as treats.
- For this, just post your fic in the exchange collection and manually add in the recipient.
- Treats do not have to fulfill the minimum fic or art requirements. They do have to respect DNWs.
- You can post treats even if you aren't signed up for the exchange.
- Treats will not be counted as main gifts except in case of emergency at the reveals date. Only treats that fulfil the minimum fic or art requirements will be considered in that case.
- You will be expected to leave a comment on the fanwork(s) created for you. Non-commenters will be banned from future rounds of Rare Ships!!! on Ice.
- If you defaulted, you are still expected to comment on any fanwork(s) created for you.
- If your creator did not follow the rules (i.e. did not feature your requested pairing in your gift; included a DNW) please contact me at email@example.com ASAP.
- If you will be unable to comment for a length of time after works are revealed, there will be an "I'll be away!" post on the DW comm where you can say how long you'll be unavailable.
- Unless you've discussed an exception with me, the deadline to comment is three weeks after works are revealed - August 13.
Thank you to the Black Sails Exchange mod for allowing me to steal verbiage from their rules and FAQ posts :)