Greetings from your friendly neighbourhood elves! (Hopefully of the Tolkien variety rather than the tiny and twee North Pole type. ^_~)
So, it's that time of the year again: time to sign up for the Lord of the Rings Secret Santa exchange! Slash, femslash, het and gen, fic and fanart; you can request it all, so why not join in? Sign-ups will run from now until November 14th.
Please note that this is an FPF challenge. (i.e. Fictional, not real people fiction/RPF.)
We're always open to all the Peoples and Ages of Middle-earth, including those of The Hobbit and The Silmarillion!
(Open, Moderated, Gift Exchange Challenge)
About Lord of the Rings Secret Santa 2015 (LotR_SeSa_2015)
This year's timeline (2015):
- Signups: November 3rd to 14th.
- Assignments sent out: On or near November 15th.
- Assignments due: December 19th.
- Stories/art revealed: December 24th.
- Author/artist names revealed: January 1st.
In 2003, shirasade couldn't help herself when she noticed that none of the SeSa challenges around were for Lord of the Rings fanfiction. And we're talking the fictional stuff here, with Elves, Men, and (of course) Hobbits -- even Dwarves and Wizards, if you're so inclined. :)
While LotR_SeSa began on a mailing list, shirasade moved the challenge to LiveJournal in 2004. At that time, the challenge was also opened to fanart requests and offers. In 2005, SeSa expanded beyond slash to include het requests, and since then, it has expanded to all types of stories/art and all of Tolkien's Middle-earth: slash, femslash, het and gen; fanfic and fanart; LotR, The Hobbit, The Silmarillion, etc.
In 2006, caras_galadhon, empy and kimberleigh_ joined shirasade's team, and in 2011, caras_galadhon and empy became LotR_SeSa's main caretakers. And now, once again, SeSa has made another leap, this time to AO3.
Anyway, enough of a preamble; come on in and sign up to get a gift of your choice for this year's holiday season. We promise you, it's fun! :)
1. Your story or fanart is due December 19th at 11:59 pm Pacific Time and will be revealed on December 24th -- please post it to AO3 (and nowhere else, until January 1st) and we will make it public on Christmas Eve.
2. Naturally, it'd be better if you didn't talk too much about your fic/art beforehand in places where your recipient could see it. Also, as a matter of fairness, please make your story more than 500 words (1000 is better). For fanart we'd expect you to spend at least a couple of hours on your work.
3. Please only sign up if you plan on actually fulfilling your end of the bargain. If you're going to be late or cannot complete your assignment, please let us know so we can discuss alternate arrangements. In addition, there will be a pool of emergency replacement writers/artists, so that everyone who signs up gets their gift.
4. It's a good idea to join the LotR_SeSa LiveJournal community so you can keep track of any admin posts.
5. Assignments will be sent out shortly after signups close, hopefully on or very shortly after November 15th, giving you approximately five weeks to finish your assignment. We realize that it's not possible that everyone gets to write their OTP, but we'll do our best to make sure you don't have to write something that squicks you, so be sure to let us know your preferences.
Have fun -- and spread the word!