Fanfiction about fictions that never were.
(Open, Unmoderated, Gift Exchange Challenge)
About Invisible Ficathon 2014: Fanfiction for stories that never were (Invisible_Ficathon_2014)
This is a ficathon for Invisible Library-type books, movies, and shows -- that is texts that canonically exist in fictional works, but don't exist in the real world. Think The Life and Lies of Albus Dumbledore by Rita Skeeter; The Itchy and Scratchy Show; Face Punch; Well, that about wraps it up for God by Oolon Colluphid; Li'l Gumshoe by Emerson Cod; Cougarton Abbey; or Head Girl Millie.
Even though the source works don't entirely exist, this ficathon is about writing fanfiction for them. We're not creating the invisible works, we're writing fanfiction for them!
- You can nominate even if you don't want to write, an you don't have to nominate fandoms in order to write.
- Fictional texs that barely exist are fine. Examples: When Joan typed in "The Casebook of Sherlock Holmes" (before immediately deleting it) in Elementary 2x03, that's enough to run with "The Casebook of Sherlock Holmes - Joan Watson". Ditto the books in the Lucien's library in the Dreaming that only exist in dreams, such as The Bestselling Romantic Spy Thriller I used to think about on the bus that would sell a billion copies and mean I’d never have to work again
- Fictional texts that do have lots of canon are also fine, but try to focus at least partly on the elements that don't exist in the real world, like the parts of The Princess Bride by Simon Morgenstern that William Goldman cut right out, or episodes of Sports Night or comic strips Teen Girl Squad we never saw.
- Tag fictional books by real authors as "Title (fictional book) - Author", eg "The Last Witch But One (fictional book) - Diana Wynne Jones"
- Tag titles that overlap with real world titles as "Title (fictional book/movie/tv show)", eg "Argo (fictional movie)"
Matching and Writing FAQs
- The goal is to write fanworks for the fictional canons, not to create the canons yourself. With some canons that's obviously a fuzzy line (mythologies, for example). Do what makes sense for your canon.
- Many of these source texts, for obvious reasons, don't have known character lists. That's fine; they'll be offered/requested with "Any" as the possible characters. We'll be following the Yuletide rules for character request/offer -- those are confusing, so feel free to contact me or post at the Dreamwidth community for the challenge.
- With a much smaller pool of knowledge for some of these fandoms, we might have to put out a request for more offers in order to make matching work. We shall see.
- If you need an AO3 invite, or if you're willing to be a pinch hitter, contact me or post at the Dreamwidth community for the challenge.
Stories should be 500 words minimum.
You can make between 4-6 requests. You can make 4+ offers.
Nominations 24-31 January GMT -5
Signups 2-11 February
Assignments go out 12 February
Assignments due 10 March
Story Reveal 17 March
Author Reveal 24 March
Please nominate! Even if you don't think you will be able to participate! And definitely please spread the word.