What is an icon?
An icon is a 100 by 100 pixel image which helps to represent you on the Archive. It is shown on your My Dashboard and Profile pages, your Pseuds page, your blurb on the People page, and next to any comments you leave under that pseud.
How many icons can I have?
You can upload one icon for each Pseud you have.
How do I upload an icon?
- Click either on the 'My Dashboard' drop down at the top of the page, or on your present icon (if you haven't uploaded one yet, the standard Archive placeholder icon will be shown instead). This will take you to your Dashboard, from which you can click through to your 'Profile' page, and from there to 'Edit My Profile', and from there to 'Edit default pseud and icon'.
- At the bottom of the form you can see what icon is currently in use (if you haven't already uploaded one, it will be the AO3 placeholder icon), and there is a field for you to specify the image you would like to upload. You should also specify alt text for the icon: a brief description of its purpose which is used if the image isn't showing - for example by people browsing with images turned off or visually impaired people using screenreaders.
- Once you've specified the image and alt text for it, hit the 'Update' button.
- Admire your shiny icon! \0/
- If you have more than one pseud, you can upload icons for them too. Your sidebar contains a link to your 'My Pseuds' page, which lists each of the pseuds you have created, with 'Edit' links to the page where you can upload icons for them.
What restrictions are there on icons?
There are a few restrictions you should bear in mind when uploading icons.
- Size: icons must be 100 by 100 pixels in size. You can upload larger or smaller images, but be aware they will be resized to 100 by 100.
- Format: the images must be in jpeg, png or gif format.
- Content: our Terms of Service state that they 'should not contain depictions of genital nudity or explicit sexual activity'. Read the relevant section of the ToS.
- Number: you can upload one icon per pseud.