Published: 2015-01-26 12:58:39 -0500
The Henneth Annûn Story Archive (HASA), an archive dedicated to well-written, imaginative, and engaging J.R.R. Tolkien fan fiction, is being imported to the Archive of Our Own (AO3). In this post:
- A bit of background explanation
- What this means for creators who have work on HASA
- And what to do if you still have questions
The server housing the HASA site has been attacked several times. While no personal information of members were compromised, nor the databases, the vulnerability of the single server meant that the archive could be lost without warning if an attack was successful. Faced with security demands that were increasingly difficult to support, the HASA Transition Team began looking for alternative ways to keep the site (and its nearly 6,600 publicly-accessible works) available.
To preserve HASA's stories, Julie Watkins and the HASA Transition Team will be working with Open Doors to import the archive into a separate, searchable AO3 collection with its own identity. We will begin importing works from HASA to the AO3 collection in February 2015. Additional volunteers are more than welcome! If you're interested, please contact Julie Watkins or post to the volunteer forum at HASA.
This is the part where we ask for your help!
1. If you already have an AO3 account and have posted your HASA works there, please contact Open Doors with your HASA pseud(s) and e-mail address(es), so that we won’t import your works. (Please include "HASA" in the subject heading.) For instructions on mass-adding works to the new collection on the AO3, HASA, please see the Open Doors website.
2. If you don’t already have an AO3 account but would like one to import your works yourself, please contact Open Doors with your HASA pseud(s), and the preferred e-mail address to send the AO3 invite to. (Please include "HASA" in the subject heading.) For instructions on importing works and adding them to the HASA collection, please see the Open Doors website.
3. If you don’t already have an AO3 account but would like one, as well as assistance importing your works, please contact Open Doors with your HASA pseud(s), and the preferred e-mail address to send the AO3 invite to. (Please include "HASA" in the subject heading.)
Once your account is set up, let us know your AO3 name, and we can transfer your works to you.
4. If you would NOT like your works moved, please contact Open Doors with your HASA pseud(s) and e-mail address(es) so that we will not add them. (Please include "HASA" in the subject heading.)
If you would not mind your works being preserved but do not want your name attached to them any longer, please let us know that too--we can orphan your works instead of leaving them behind to be deleted.
All works archived on a creator’s behalf will be attributed with the creator’s name in the byline of the work. As we import works, we will e-mail notifications to the address associated with the work.
All imported works will be set to be viewable only by logged-in AO3 users. Once you claim your works, you can make them publicly-viewable if you choose. After 90 days, all unclaimed imported works will be made visible to all visitors.
If you no longer have access to the email account associated with your HASA account, please contact Open Doors and we'll help you out. (If you've posted the works elsewhere, or have an easy way to verify that they're yours, that's fantastic; if not, we will work with the HASA team to confirm your claims.)
We'd also love it if fans could help us preserve the story of Henneth Annûn on Fanlore. If you're new to wiki editing, no worries! Check out the new visitor portal, or ask the Fanlore Gardeners for tips.
We're excited to be able to help preserve HASA!
- The Open Doors team