Published: 2016-01-02 04:54:14 -0500
The first release notes of 2016 collect all the little improvements and fixes we added to the Archive in December of 2015. This includes a much needed upgrade of our Rich Text Editor, several invisible performance improvements, and the ability to refuse gifts.
2015 was a busy year full of fixes and features, and we'd like to thank all of our coders and testers, but especially first-time coders Nerine and l1n and first-time testers madelyn, torigates, truffulafruits, Claire B, Debris, Nerine, and Phoenixacid!
- Coders: Ariana, Cesy, Elz, james_, l1n, Naomi, Sarken, Scott
- Code reviewers: Ariana, Cesy, Elz, Enigel, james_, Naomi, Scott
- Testers: james_, Lady Oscar, Matty, Michelle D, mugenmine, mumble, Sarken
Works & Comments
- [AO3-3145] - We've added the ability to refuse gift works. All work blurbs on your Gifts page now feature a "Refuse Gift" button; refused gifts will be collected on their own "Refused Gifts" page (visible only to you) in case you ever want to revisit your decision. When you refuse a gift work, the automated "For [user]" line in the work's Notes section will vanish. The thwarted gift giver will NOT be notified.
- [AO3-4330] - When a spammer posted a lot of spam works to the Archive, the Abuse team used to have to delete each work individually after banning the spammer. Now they can delete all the works at once during the banning process.
- [AO3-4383] - Mass imports of external archives would run into issues with some older code that parses incoming work content. This was solved by explicitly prioritizing content sent through the API used by Open Doors.
- [AO3-4050] - We were running a very old version of our Rich Text Editor of choice, TinyMCE, and have finally joined the rest of the Internet in 2016 by upgrading to version 4.3.2. \o/ Among many other things, this takes care of the bug where single-word paragraphs would quietly get eaten. It also preserves simple formatting (such as bold and italics) when copy/pasting from Google Drive.
- [AO3-4395] - The TinyMCE update also removed the "horizontal rule" button, oops. We've put it back now.
- [AO3-4379] - The message that displays on the comment form for moderated works had a typo and said, "Your comment will not appear until it has been by approved by the creator." The extra "by" has now gone bye-bye.
Challenges & Tags
- [AO3-4358] - If a challenge collection was moderated, the link to the sign-up form would not be included in its dashboard sidebar despite appearing elsewhere on the page. Now challenge sidebars will include the Sign-up Form link for Gift Exchanges and the Prompt Form link for prompt memes regardless of moderation settings.
- [AO3-4382] - If a tag set had more than 20 additional (freeform) tags, the list of those tags wouldn't appear on the tag set. We added the missing
=that caused the problem, and now the tags appear!
Users & Accounts
- [AO3-3720] - If you changed your AO3 user name and someone wanted to give you a gift, the autocomplete wouldn't suggest your new name -- only your old one. Now when you change your user name, your old name is removed from the autocomplete and your new one is added.
- [AO3-4321] - The change password page would incorrectly state that you logged in with a temporary password in the event you requested but didn't use a temporary password. Now the message only displays when you are redirected to the change password page after logging in with a temporary password.
- [AO3-4374] - The page that you are taken to after creating an AO3 account wrote out a URL where it could have used a link and failed to capitalize the word "Archive." We've fixed both of those issues and spruced up the page margins and spacing between paragraphs as well.
Under the Hood
- [AO3-4380] - Some slow code meant that users with extremely large inboxes were unable to access their dashboard or their inbox. We now use a single, faster query that will make these users' dashboards and inboxes accessible again.
- [AO3-4392] - We started work on improving database performance and added a tool that points out queries in need of optimizing
- [AO3-4362] - The byline generated for every work -- creator(s) by pseud or "Anonymous", as appropriate -- involved way too many database requests, especially for pages listing several works. To kill our servers a little less, we are now properly caching the bylines.
- [AO3-4269] - Several of our automated tests would sometimes fail without a clear reason, making them somewhat less useful than we'd like. We've done some work toward fixing that. (See also: AO3-4402)
- [AO3-4403] - New developers forking our code on GitHub couldn't connect their repositories to the service we use for running our automated tests. That's all fixed now.
See our Known Issues page for current issues.