Welcome to Revision 2364, up from 2101. This includes a huge number of changes with some exciting new features, a lot of background improvements and bug fixes.
We welcome Ronan, Ira and amc who have their first code for the AO3 in this release. We're pleased to note that 13 of our fabulous coders contributed to bringing you these changes - that's a large, active team and one we're very proud of.
Our next deploy will be within the next two weeks and will contain the Assignments code for Challenges.
Lots of exciting stuff: code for running challenges, tag wrangling tools, better navigation and filtering for collections, navigation for news posts, improvements to category tags, improvements to series listings, easier way to edit tags on a work, and more.
- CSS / Accessibility / Page Structure review - this will be visible in subtle ways on almost every page. A huge amount of work has gone into this and we are very grateful to lim who has shared her expertise and time to make this possible. The new site should be much more accessible for a wide range of users.
- New HTML formatter / parser
- This is what strips out non-allowed HTML and tidies up unclosed tags and so on. We get significant performance improvements with this change, which is very attractive - however, this update may cause some changes to the way a small number of works display. Please be patient and tell us about any problems you run into (via the Support form) and we'll polish this over time.
- Metatags have arrived!
- Username editing - you can now edit your username
- Please be aware that we are not redirecting your old URLs, so if you do this, you may break offsite links (although links to individual works you have posted will not be affected, as those URLs do not contain your username).
- One icon per pseud is now supported - Tutorial: uploading a user icon
- Challenges - the code for sign-ups is in and available for use
- This is a two-part piece of code; while you can now sign up for a Challenge you also need the Assignments code (coming in the next drop)
- The default for viewing works has been changed from 'View Entire Work' to 'View Chapter By Chapter'. If you prefer to view the entire work by default, you can still set this from your Preferences page!
See Known Issues page.
We'll shortly be deploying the second half of the gift exchange code for challenges - the part that will do the matching and assigning.
We're planning some tweaks to search in the next deploy, and longer term a bigger redesign.
We're planning a new support interface on the Archive, which will make our poor overworked support team very happy!
- A bunch of importing bugs resolved (to do with date detection and HTML formatting), though there are still problems with importing from FanFiction.net
- Tag for "Rape/Non-Con" and "Rape/NonCon" merged behind the scenes (no more duplicates)
- Fixed 'sort by' arrows not showing sort direction if sort direction is nil
- Fixed 'jump to top' link (validated and accessible)
- Fixed persistent 'first login' flash message (should now go away on command)
- Fixed public bookmarks of restricted works being visible to non logged in users
- Fixed the way lines starting with HTML lose their line breaks. Issue 1314 explains it better than I can
- Fixed bookmarks not returning all synonymous tags
- Fixed inaccurate link in co-author notification email
- Fixed evil "New users are not currently being added" message that appears if you join the invitation queue and the queue is short enough to invite you on the same day.
- Fixed "Something went wrong" problem when posting a large block of text in HTML tags
- Fixed problem with show/hide warnings not working properly
- Fixed problem of collection tag cloud displaying incorrect relative sizes
- Fixed problem with <3<3<3 display
- Fixed problem with editing multi-chapter work - 'Previous' and 'Next' links
- Fixed problem importing older works from LiveJournal
- Fixed problem with fandom count in collection sidebar
- Fixed problem with import from URL page redirecting to Post New if you don't enter a URL
- Stopped tag wranglers being able to create invalid tags
- Stopped invite requests hanging around after an account is created + deleted
- Added Metatag functionality! Metatags are explained in more detail in this post.
- Tags wranglers can now comment on individual tags - discussion opportunities and record keeping!
- Tag wranglers can be assigned to specific fandoms - unallocated fandoms easy to spot, wranglers can find own assigned fandoms!
- Added ability to edit your username
- How do I do that? See Tutorial: changing your username
- Added link to 'edit default pseud and icon' to 'edit profile' page
- Added ability to upload a user icon (one per pseud)
- How do I do that? See Tutorial: uploading a user icon.
- Added new default user icon
- Added collection icon
- Added '5 random works/bookmarks' option to collections
- Added ability to edit the tags on a work without editing the whole work - you've been asking for it for a long time, and now it's here! Can also update tags without previewing.
- Added reply links in comment notification emails, along with 'view all comments' link and originating and current thread links
- Added filtering and sorting to main collections page
- Added page summary to Admin Posts page
- Added list of allowed HTML to series
- Added series blurb to dashboard view
- Added chapter index on works (this is still experimental!)
- Added some help files for challenges
- Added ability for an admin to tell when a tag was last updated and by whom
- Improved tag search function and made it available to all users
- HUGE amount of work on tag wrangling interface - Navigation! Dashboard! Switch from drop down menus to autocomplete
- Streamlined works blurbs
- Streamlined bookmarks blurbs
- Updated Terms of Service
- Updated Terms of Service FAQ
- Updated Read Comment(s) link styling on Admin posts to conform with comments on works
- Updated text on import work form from 'post new' to 'import new'
- Changed Post New Work form in multiple ways:
- Restyled to be prettier, more accessible and easier to use (we hope)
- All labels are now properly associated with the appropriate fields
- Archive Warnings are now ticky boxes
- Category is now multi-select and ticky boxes (if you use more than one type of pairing the icon will default to 'Multi')
- Entry fields grouped into 'Work Tags,' 'Work Preface,' 'Associations,' and 'Work Text'
- Recipient(s) field now grouped under 'Associations'
- 'Story' replaced with 'Work'
- Changed series blurb, blurbs on dashboard, icons
- Changed text of 'Search' results to clarify 1000 results
- Changed handling of invitations if account is purged before user validates it (purge period extended to 2 weeks)
- Changed titles of work in edit multiple works view into hyperlinks
- Changed 'Reading History' to 'Viewing History'
- Changed 'Inspired by' link from footer to header of work (in Notes field)
- Changed AO3 default to 'view chapter by chapter' rather than 'view entire work'
- Added 'Always view entire work by default' to user preferences
- Removed the way the AO3 CCs webmasters when the AO3 sends out admin notices (spam!)
- Removed "Import From An Existing URL Instead?" option when editing an existing work
- Removed 'FAQ' link for collections with no FAQ
- Upgraded from Rails 2.3.2 to Rails 2.3.5