Published: 2011-03-01 06:22:58 -0500
Welcome to Release 0.8.5. Normally in this introduction, we'd also be telling you which revision the Archive was on, but we have recently changed the way we manage our code and deploy process, so this information is no longer relevant. We'll just be using release numbers from now on!
New coding and deploy methods!
We used to host the Archive project on Google code, where we managed our version control with Subversion. This worked fine when we were a small project, but as we have grown and welcomed more developers into the fold we needed something a little more flexible. Subversion is great if you want to add ALL THE CODE to the live site at once, but if you want to skip some additions (for example, because someone has committed code that's not quite ready for primetime), things get complicated. So, we're moving to a new tool, git, which allows for lots more flexibility and makes it easier to collaborate, and we're hosting the project on Github. You can see our new otwarchive project on Github.
This means a lot to coders, but not so much to users - with one important exception! Because git makes it super-easy for us to pick and choose what we want to put on the live site, we'll no longer have to wait for different projects to be ready. Instead, we're moving to a regular monthly deploy where we push out the stuff that is ready, while keeping the other projects going in their separate git homes (known as forks). So, you'll be able to expect a new code deploy at the end of each month. Remember, you can follow our Twitter feed AO3_Status
Challenge mods often want to reveal the list of prompts/requests at the end of the challenge so that participants can write extra gifts. Now they can! The prompts are hidden by default - once mods have chosen to make them visible they are browsable. There is currently a known issue which means that the link to view the prompts is visible even when the prompts are not - this will be fixed next month!
Stalwart coder Rebecca is continuing her work on our import function. She's made some further improvements to imports from the Yuletide Treasure site, and continues to review this functionality. We currently have specialist support for Livejournal, Dreamwidth (& other LJ clones / forks), DeviantArt, Fanfiction.net and Yuletide Treasure, along with general support for other sites. As always, we welcome feedback about the import function via our Support and Feedback form.
See our Known Issues page.
- Tag wrangling: Added a note to comment emails for tag wrangling to make it clear the comment is on a tag.
- Tag wrangling: Changed the order of 'Character' and 'Relationship' on the New Tag page to reflect wrangler workflow
- Upgrade: Switched to the latest version of the will_paginate gem (this should have no effect on what users see)
- Changed order of categories on Media page so that 'Uncategorized' always comes at the end
- Admin features: Fixed admin permissions so admins can edit user emails and change user roles on the Archive
- Importer: Changed error message for failed imported to read 'work', not 'story'
- Importer: Improved imports from Yuletide to strip headers correctly
- Importer: Improved imports from Yuletide to work with New Years' Resolution stories
- Importer: Fixed error message for attempted imports from Google docs (currently not supported) so that it gives a proper error message instead of just giving an error 500.