Published: 2014-09-29 17:06:34 -0400
- Coders: Elz, james_, Sarken, Scott
- Code reviewers: Elz, Enigel, James
- Testers: Camilla M, helebr, Lady Oscar, Mei, mumble, Priscilla, Ridicully
Extra special thanks to Scott for helming this project through sunshine and rain! ♥
This code update includes many improvements to the Archive FAQ, our help section for new and experienced users alike. This part of the site grows and changes with the Archive, and will see even more improvements in future updates. For now, we offer these new features for your enjoyment:
- You can now browse our FAQs in languages other than English! Since both the FAQs and their translations are a work in progress, only a few categories have translations right now. We'll be adding more during the coming months, and will update outdated information across all sections.
- As soon as at least one FAQ category (e.g. Pseuds, Bookmarks, Comments, etc.) is available in a language, that language will show up in the dropdown menu at the top right of the main FAQ index. Only translated categories will be listed, so if you can't find the information you're looking for, please refer back to the English index. (Work in progress!)
- There are now buttons on the main index to show all available questions ("Expand Categories") and to hide them all again ("Collapse Categories"), so you can skim the page or search for exactly the information you're interested in.
- At the top of each category, you'll find a list of available questions, so you can quickly jump to just the answer you need.
- The system now allows for direct links to each question/answer pair on a page (e.g. How do I subscribe to a work?), which wasn't fully supported before.
- The new FAQs have "pretty" URLs, which means they don't just contain the id of the FAQ category (as in, /archive_faqs/17), but rather the title of the page (as in, /faq/orphaning).
- Contrary to expectations in our original announcement, there will be no broken links. Old links (e.g. archiveofourown.org/archive_faqs/7) will automatically redirect to the new pages (e.g. Pseuds).
- Our public wrangling guidelines, which were previously (and somewhat awkwardly) part of the FAQ section, have gotten their own home! You can consult these pages when in doubt about how to best format a new tag, or if you're wondering about specific wrangling concepts and policies.
Our AO3 Documentation volunteers are working very hard to update the old, sometimes very outdated FAQs, and our many translators are working on translating them: either the new and improved documentation or, in some cases (when we have the volunteer power), some old documentation that might still be helpful, while waiting for it to be updated.
- Documentation writers: AnneVictoire, C-chan, DekuDani, ltfoxyee, MadameHardy, Sammie, trickybonmot and 12 AO3 Documentation volunteers
- Translators: Agnieszka Górniok, Amalia Blondet, ambersnake, Ana Carolina Nonato, Ana Solis, Aneta Sikora, Ania Kopertowska, Anne-Katrin Koch, Arithanas, Artmetica, balistener, birggitt, Blacktablet, Charlotte, ChristyCorr, Daniela Kreimerman, DeeCharlotte, Eilean, Eimry, Ely_Baby, Elysandra, Fatma Bahr, fluffygreenpillow, Gloria Monika (Rizu), Hayyu A (Alinka), headinthecloudsgirl, Jocelin Potash, John (rcmero), Karagodina Elena, Kaysa (Sarah K.), Konomon Freezlight, LilyC, Liselot, Luisa, M.Rios, Meep, MrBalkanophile, Nana, Nerine Luna, regenorakel, Ridicully, rocksound, soniclipstick (veriscence), SunnyB, Tatanka, tamat9, White Hawk, Yenelie, and 76 translators
When you pick a language from the dropdown menu to access available FAQs in your language, for example Spanish, the language information will be included in the URL, like faq/about?language_id=es. When you leave the FAQ section, e.g. by selecting the All Fandoms link in the header menu, this language information will follow you to that page. Since so far only the FAQ section is translated, however, there will be no other effect. When you continue browsing, the next page you visit will have the normal URL again.
See our Known Issues page for other current issues.