We've deployed about forty (forty!) code changes over sixteen releases, primarily focused on invisible, back-end changes that will help with performance and stability. However, we found time to sneak in a small handful of user-facing changes, too!
- Coders: Cesy, Elz, james, Sarken, Scott
- Code reviewers: Ariana, Cesy, Elz, Enigel, james, Sarken
- Testers: Cesy, Enigel, Lady Oscar, Katie, mugenmine, mumble, Priscilla, Sarken, Scott
- [AO3-3922] - We have an ongoing bug where removing yourself as co-author doesn't remove the work from your Works page. Unfortunately, the bug lives on, but now we have automated tests to remind us about it!
- [AO3-4421] - The automated tests for prompt memes were very, very long -- so long that just their length sometimes caused them to fail! We've split the tests up so we'll have fewer phony failures.
- [AO3-4423] - Now we have automated tests to remind us about bug AO3-3468 wherein search results aren't fully updated after a user changes their username.
- [AO3-4455] - Our work deletion tests had some to-do items, so we did them.
- [AO3-4464] - We also did the to-do items in the automated tests for admin features.
- [AO3-4456] - Ditto the to-dos in our tests for work importing.
- [AO3-4469] - And a to-do test item for bookmarking restricted works.
- [AO3-4467] - To-dos in our bookmark privacy tests? Done!
- [AO3-4468] - We checked some to-dos off our list for our news post tests, too.
- [AO3-4422] - We added some tests for our Diversity Statement, Donate or Volunteer, and DMCA pages, as well as some tests for a page the Open Doors committee uses.
- [AO3-4454] - We rearranged the automated tests for gift exchange challenges so they would be easier to understand.
- [AO3-4441] - We improved the automated tests for Open Doors features.
- [AO3-4487] - We finished a WIP! That is, we put the finishing touches on one of our automated tests for comments.
- [AO3-4476] - The test for importing works from DeviantArt was incomplete and wasn't being run with the rest of our importing tests. Now it's done and running.
- [AO3-4479] - Unfortunately, the service we use to run our tests occasionally shuts down, which makes it look like our tests are failing. Now our tests will automatically rerun after failing just in case the failure was caused by a shutdown.
- [AO3-4393] - We have reduced the number of calls that works listings make to our database by asking for all of the things in one go instead of as lots of little questions.
- [AO3-4405] - We were making a lot of trips to the database to get the information presented on tag pages like Alternate Universe. We've optimized our code so we get everything we need in one trip.
- [AO3-4404] - The Recent Bookmarks page also made a lot of trips to the database, so we've optimized that code, too!
- [AO3-4396] - User profiles were making unnecessary calls to the database to get the list of that user's pseuds. We've reduced the database's burden here as well.
- [AO3-4378] - We added caching for the list of site skins in the footer as well as the skins themselves.
- [AO3-4399] - Quite a few of our Ruby gems needed minor updates, so we updated them all in one go.
- [AO3-4399] - We updated the gem for our server-monitoring tool.
- [AO3-4428] - We updated the gem we use to color the output our database admins see.
- [AO3-4432] - We updated the gem we use for displaying image banners on collection pages.
- [AO3-4442] - We updated a gem we use to make writing automated tests a little easier.
- [AO3-4400] - We upgraded Rails just a tiny bit.
- [AO3-4491] - ...and then we upgraded Rails just a tiny bit more to get the latest security fixes for our version.
- [AO3-4437] - We updated the gem that helps us with adding, changing, and removing user icons.
- [AO3-4433] and [AO3-4465] - We had previously installed a gem to update various jQuery-related things, but it no longer worked with our set up. We removed the gem and updated one of those jQuery things through old-fashioned copy and paste instead.
- [AO3-4291] - We deployed the previously-announced layout changes aimed at making the site more usable for those browsing the Archive in smaller windows.
- [AO3-4453] - We lost our margins when we deployed the layout changes for small screens, so we put some back in.
- [AO3-4350] - On small screens, some of the homepage items were the slightest bit off-center. We've centered them now.
- [AO3-4411] - The icons iOS, Android, and OS X use for shortcuts to the Archive were in the old, glossy style. We switched to the new flat design the operating systems are using now.
- [AO3-4463] - There were some old, admin-only site statistic pages we never used. We've removed them.
- [AO3-4478] - Tag wranglers see a special wrangling dashboard on some pages, but on small screens, some of the options on the dashboard were displaying incorrectly and taking up too much space. We've fixed that.
- [AO3-4477] - If you were replying to a comment while on the logged-in homepage and dragged the reply form down toward the footer, the form would start to disappear behind the footer. Now it will remain visible in front of the footer.
- [AO3-4410] - When we used our Vagrant development environment, one pesky file kept trying to sneak into our source. We've put an end to that.
- [AO3-4413] - We recently added a tool that would tell us when we were making too many trips to the database. The way it told us, though, was by overlaying a big grey block on the screen, which was very distracting and inconvenient. We've switched its settings to something less obtrusive.
See our Known Issues page for current issues.