The Collators' Den, a Life on Mars (UK) and Ashes to Ashes fanfiction archive, is being imported to the Archive of Our Own (AO3).
In this post:
- A bit of background explanation
- What this means for creators who have work on The Collators' Den
- And what to do if you still have questions
The Collators' Den was created in 2008 to host Life on Mars (UK) and Ashes to Ashes fanfiction. Wanting to ensure access and longevity for all the LoM and A2A fanfiction the fandom has produced over the years, Janni decided to move the archive to the AO3.
Open Doors will be working with Janni to import The Collators' Den into a separate, searchable collection on the AO3. We will begin importing works from The Collators' Den to the AO3 after August 2017.
We will send an import notification to the email address we have for each creator. We'll do our best to check for an existing copy of any works before importing. If we find a copy already on the AO3, we will invite it to the collection instead of importing it. All works archived on behalf of a creator will include their name in the byline or the summary of the work.
All imported works will be set to be viewable only by logged-in AO3 users. Once you claim your works, you can make them publicly-viewable if you choose. After 30 days, all unclaimed imported works will be made visible to all visitors.
Please contact Open Doors with your Collators' Den pseud(s) and email address(es), if:
- You'd like us to import your works, but you need the notification sent to a different email address than you used on the original archive
- You already have an AO3 account and have imported your works already yourself.
- You’d like to import your works yourself (including if you don’t have an AO3 account yet).
- You would NOT like your works moved to the AO3.
- You are happy for us to preserve your works on the AO3, but would like us to remove your name.
- You have any other questions we can help you with.
Please include the name of the archive in the subject heading of your email. If you no longer have access to the email account associated with your Collators' Den account, please contact Open Doors and we'll help you out. (If you've posted the works elsewhere, or have an easy way to verify that they're yours, that's great; if not, we will work with the Collators' Den moderator to confirm your claims.)
Please see the Open Doors Website for instructions on
We'd also love it if fans could help us preserve the story of The Collators' Den on Fanlore. If you're new to wiki editing, no worries! Check out the new visitor portal, or ask the Fanlore Gardeners for tips.
We're excited to be able to help preserve The Collators' Den!
- The Open Doors team and Janni